Uninspired days seem to be the longest for sure.
I am working through a Best Self Journal. Found it online wasting time on Instagram. Go figure.
It’s a guide to set up goals and 13 week schedule to work on them. I mostly like it because it gives me a level of accountability.
You set priorities for each day and at the end of the day you are accountable for how much you achieved. They encourage you to think positively. I like this because so much of my job is stressful and pretty high pressure.
Setting goals is key and going to work to get what needs to be done to attain those goals is a primary function.
“It’s not the will to win that matters- everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.”
Paul “Bear” Bryant
- Get help. Make sure you can get help any way you can. If you cant afford much, find an intern, use a family member. I could not have had babies without help from my “village”. Today I have an assistant, a house cleaner and I have my groceries delivered. My kids are old enough they have taken over a ton of the household chores. Next on my list is to get a few meals a week delivered.
- Plan your day down to the minute if you have to and practice self discipline. Follow your regimen carefully and you will get more done than you thought imaginable. My husband laughs when he sees my schedule and thinks its rediculous, and then occasionally he will comment, “I don’t know how you do it all!”. No shit Sherlock, I schedule it.
- Meal prep is key. Since I haven’t gone to having meals delivered, I try to spend Sunday planning meals for the week. Its amazing how much time we spend just trying to figure things out, planning ahead is the best way to save your mental energy.
- Saying NO is so powerful. just say no to PTA, to things that don’t align with your greater plan, don’t care what people think of you.
- Having a life strategy or a bigger goal to align smaller daily decision with helps a ton. I do this once a year and put it on an index card and keep it in my little schedule book.
- Delegate as much as possible the small tasks, to kids, husbands, family or hire someone.
- Don’t work weekends, recharge your mind, setting boundaries for others. I have seen this gain respect and clients now value my time more because of those boundaries.
- Exercise! If our energy is in a jar, we can make that jar bigger holding more energy if we exercise on a regular basis.
- Be sure to prioritize tasks on a daily basis, being able to change or pivot is invaluable. Everything changes, we live on a spinning mass hurtling through space.
- Make time for family and fun. I actually schedule this time to be sure I get to it. If you don’t list it it wont happen.
I love this blog thing. It will be my next career. My first love in life was reading and writing. I always wanted to be a writer but didn’t know how to make a living at it. I have been told I write good copy, but I never pursued it as a career. Writing for my own blog is such a blessing. Finishing and self publishing my first book was amazing. And being on the cusp of finishing another is more than I dreamed I would ever accomplish.
Life is about layers, getting older, learning more about ourselves. There is still so much I want to do, learn and be better at.
Right now it seems like its more about forgiveness. I need to , we all need to, forgive ourselves for all the things we can’t get to in the now. I have kids and the #struggleisreal. There are just not enough hours in the day to get shit done. My biggest complaint right now is that I have no control of how others choose to live and work and facilitate me getting shit done. That is the most annoying piece of everything.
What I do to take care of my mind in this is to think back to some of my favorite music by #JackJohnson, his lyrics remind us of the life style we live in a beach town, surf community. Surfing is all about living in the now, not the future, or past. Eckert Tolle teaches the same thing. I believe that by living in the now makes it easier for us to live up to God’s potential in us.
Truth be told I have to tell myself these things a hundred times a day. With each phone call, stress builds, demands are made of us, everyone seems to need everything yesterday.
The trick is to feel enough of being blessed and doing something you love that will take you through the 12-14 hour days of drudgery.
Throw kids in the mix and you feel like you barely have time to breath.
Your legacy doesn’t have to be a Golden Gate Bridge or a speech to end slavery. Your legacy can simply be raising children who care for others, creating a community program for seniors who share your passion, or building something cool at work that makes life easier for others.
Give yourself credit for what you have created. Then HUSTLE and create more. Build a legacy with depth and breadth.
I’m reading “Your money or your life” by Vicki Robin. She shares an old teaching tale…
“A young man wanted to know the difference between heaven and hell. A Sage led him to two rooms with observation portals, one labeled heaven one labeled hell. looking in at hell he saw a banquet table filled with luscious food but the people at The table work emaciated and distressed. They are spoons had a long handles to reach the food, but the handles were too long to bring the food to their mouth’s. Then he looked in on heaven. Same table full of luscious food. Same long spoons. But the people were healthy and happy and using their long handled spoon to feed one another”.
This story is at the heart of it all really. It’s all so simple. I’ll say it bluntly.
People: please stop being greedy, if you have more than you need then help your neighbor, help your kids get to a better place, raise all around you up with you.
If you don’t have much and are struggling, give a smile, give kindness and positivity. You are still raising others up with you.
We are not super wealthy people. We are amazingly rich in our family, our friends, we are blessed to have plenty of work and we do our best to do a good job and do good for others as much as we can.
Get out your long spoon and feed your soul!
CLICK HERE for the newsletter sign up
For more great freebies get our newsletter. I just vomit good poop all the time to be a better #workingmom or #creativeentrepreneur